Saturday 16 July 2011

Spiritual Practice...Have You Got One?

As we age, and turn our thoughts to our own mortality, I wonder if we all, at some time or other have tendencies to experience panic setting in?

Some would say that they never give it a second thought, what will be will be, they espouse.

Perhaps others again think that turning up in a congregation on a Sunday has it covered off, duty done.

If you are a middle aged person who does not particularly have a spiritual practice, the thought may appear 'I had better get one'.

Part of me wonders if it is somehow part of our very being to have a spiritual 'timer'.
Something that functions as a manifesting 'giddy-up' that helps us to get it together, to pick up the pace a bit.

Where to begin?
That is a good question as a 'Starter for ten'.

Perhaps I should do some self analysis?
That is another good one, and probably the one that will ultimately cause us the most discomfort.

Fasten the seat belts here comes the turbulence.

If you have read any of my previous posts, you will be aware that I am attempting a journey of self discovery with the goal of finding peace, love and tranquility in my life.

This is where the panic sets in.
Most of us will look around for someone or something that is readily available to help us on our journey. Something quick and not too inconvenient.

Here comes the first issue I have...
I am, as I have previously stated a 'Baby Boomer', and male one to boot.
Love, light and sprinkles just does not cut it for me.

No disrespect to all the people who like that sort of thing, each to their own, but love to most of my ilk is our football team, closely followed by our garden shed.

I joke of course, I love my family a lot, but you get the picture I'm sure.

So to get back on thread, we look usually for someone to guide us, someone to follow, someone who makes the right noises that we can relate to.

My own personal studies over a long period of time, have made me wonder if some of these spiritual practices out there are not coloured by the teachers own personality when relating them to others.

Thoughts and teachings, coming from a 'no mind, no emotion' state I can relate to.
But that I believe, at this time, needs to come from the individual, not another, no matter how well meaning.

Before anything else, we should learn to look inward.
Learn to observe our thoughts and emotional patterns and change the conditioning we have gone through. Then we are able to newly define who we are, and who we want to be.
That would be a shift in the right direction.

My objective from the beginning has been not to try to be politically correct.
I do not wish to tippee toe through issues that for me need mulling over and analysing in the cold light of day.

I want to find by trial and error, research, love and faith, an 'inner knowing', something which will resonate with my being.

All 'Masters' started somewhere, and that somewhere was within themselves.
We should not scold ourselves or think ourselves arrogant because we wish to explore a less trodden path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.